Letter, Florence Stoff to George Stoff, Monticello, New York, June 14 and 15, 1945

Item

Contributor
Stoff Family
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/9836
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
Mrs. Florence Stoff
41 Landfield Ave
Monticello, N.Y.

Cpl. George Stoff UVO 50/00
CoA - 735 - RWY OPN BN
APO #350 % Postmaster
New York - N.Y.

Thursday + Fri
June 14, 1945
June 15, 1945

Dearest sweetheart
All is well with Jim and myself, the weather is quite summery and we're very comfortable in the master bedroom of the house. Eleanor, mother and I have been arranging all the things in each room, Jim, too, helped and the house is very liveable and pretty. Hope you can see how mice everything is here.

We all arose quite early, had our breakfast and then did the necessary shopping for the next few days. There are many conveniences and we expect to have a most pleasant vacation. I may look around the Middletown section next week for a cottage or land or something for us. If I find something nice I'll let you know at once.

After supper, Eleanor and I went to the movies and saw- Eddie Bracken and Veronica Lake in "Bring in the Girls." It was a musical comedy done in technicolor and was quite entertaining and lavish. Later Eleanor and I went to the drugstore for sodas and arrived home by 11 p.m. Jim was fine and mom listened to the programs all evening. He's back again in his crib and is now our precious babe instead of my sleeping partner.

Good-night, sweetheart, and I hope the morrow brings good news to both of us. I'll write to the folks in a day or so and I did write them a card when we arrived. I love you more and more and Jim and I send you all our love and kisses. Stay well, my love.
As always,
Florence

Friday
George, dearest,
It looks quite warm and sunny out from our 17 windows. We all slept well and arose at 7:30 a.m. due to Jim's "good-mornings". After breakfast, Mom and I walked the three blocks to town and did more shopping. I also applied to the O.P.A. for a shoe coupon for Jim, who needs a pair of sandals. They're already ordered and it seems as though there's more of a selection of shoes and sizes here in Monticello than in Brooklyn. Mom also ordered play shoes and bedroom slippers.

No mail from anyone to-day but maybe there'll be some news to-morrow. Hope you're getting my mail and those Sunday Times. Bess and Jan were with us all afternoon and had lunch with us noon time. Bess isn't too comfortable with an itch she's had for the past three months. About 3.30 it started to rain and ice cubes actually fell from the heavens for about 10 minutes. Jim was all excited with the lightening, thunder, and the hail stones. The sun soon shone again and the air smells delicious after the storm.

Jim's asleep now after no nap and an early supper. He'll be back in routine in a day or so and then I'll be getting my afternoon siestas again. We're all sitting around relaxing in the living room and eating Bartons and talking of my favorite sweetheart.

All my love and devotion to you and hugs and kisses from Jim. Best regards from Mom and Eleanor.
Always,
Florence
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1945
Media
17.pdf

Position: 6112 (24 views)