Letter, Bob Stoff to George, Florence, and Jim Stoff, January 12, [1943]

Item

Contributor
Stoff Family
Creator
Date
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/9772
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
St Sgt. R. Stoff 3247017
399 Inf. Co. I A.P.O. 100
Ft. Jackson, S.C.

Mr. George Stoff
29 Broadway
Room 1412
New York City

Jan. 12th, 1943
Dear Gg, Flo, Jim: -
There is something of importance to write about tonight. I don’t recall whether I wrote you about making the new Cadre. This was according to the list made on Sunday. However, the list was changed by the company commander, who I’m afraid likes my work so much that he absolutely disregards my feelings, and against my wishes, is going to keep me here.

Three alternatives now present themselves. Either I make the 2nd. Cadre, go to O.C.S. and become a 2nd lieutenant, or I remain with the company.

Let’s not discuss this in our letters. I’d much rather you discuss some with Danny, and then with me upon my return home.

Everything else is fine and dandy. My cold has vanished, and I feel great once more. George, I give you my word – I’m the best sergeant in the company. The men think so too.

Fran lost her job, found another one, and is much happier with her new office job.

The camera is in excellent shape, and I’m looking forward to our exchange. I wonder did you like those latest pictures.

I’m reminding you, rather early perhaps, about not forgetting to send me that dough on time. Speaking of dough, it sure is great news, your getting an increase. Working after hours must be tough; but I know you can do it. Jim’s education must be quite an incentive for you to labor after hours.

Acquired through purchase, a pair of O.D. slacks through my lieutenant, who by the way, is shaping up much better. He now realizes I know my stuff, and I’m sorry to say, he gives me the bulk of the work now. But at least, it makes the men happier.

Sure am sorry to hear about Florence’s Dad. Positive that there is no God.

Hoping that every thing else is fine and dandy –
With a warm handshake in mind.
Bob
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1943

Position: 4083 (22 views)