Letter, George Stoff to Florence Stoff, New Orleans, Louisiana, March 15, 1944

Item

Contributor
Stoff Family
Creator
Date
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/9444
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
Pvt. Geo Stoff 42050100
Co A 735 RWY. OPN. BN.
Camp Plauche
New Orleans 12, Louisiana

Mrs. Florence Stoff
3021 Ave. I
Brooklyn,
New York

Wednesday 3-15-44
Florence, dearest:
Another beautiful, sunny day, and I sure figure to get a swell tan before this week’s vacation is over. I was lucky this morning and pulled a “sweeping detail” for the morning only, this lasted only two hours, and I have a little time for myself so I am catching up on my mail. I feel swell, and this outdoor life is pretty good, but, honey I sure do wish this was all over so that we could all cast aside our nervousness and worries, and get back to our usual way of life.

I am writing before the day’s mail arrives, so if I do receive your daily letter, I will acknowledge it at the end of this. Hope that you and Jim are in excellent health and spirits, and that the rascal is beginning to talk a little more. Do you think he’ll recognize me when he sees me next? Or maybe I won’t be able to recognize him. He must be growing so big since last I saw him.

Hope Goldberg came over to visit you so that he can bring back a report to me as to how both of you look; also how the folks are. I know you write everything, sweetheart, but verbal and visual communication always is that much more reassuring. However with just a wee bit of co-operation from the Gods, I expect to see you soon, so chin up, and be patient as usual. Wrote Mom and Pop a card this morning, and also expect to write Mr. Pincus, otherwise the balance of my correspondence will have to wait until we return to camp the end of the week. I have not seen a newspaper since Saturday, but sure was glad to hear that the war news continues good. One of these days we will have the perfect headline, PEACE, and that’s the one we want to see, and keep.

This upper portion of this letter was written during the morning, it is now almost 7 PM and darling, surprise after surprise followed in order to-day. It was really an enjoyable day, the first I have had since induction. Not as much because I enjoy doing what I am, but that I am gaining a new kind of confidence. Truthfully, having had but very little practice before firing, I was skeptical about my ability to fire, but not only did I do well with the semi-automatic Carbine, and to-day because of my good scores I was selected to shoot the 50 caliber machine gun. This is the size machine gun used to stop tanks, so you see what I mean. However, I got a kick out of realizing that George Stoff was not afraid to handle all these guns, and believe you me, dearest, I was thrilled with the thought.

There was no mail delivery to-day, but I trust all is well with my precious dear ones. Kiss Jim for daddy, and I’ll kiss you in mind with love in my heart. My best to my and your folks, and to all our very good friends.

As ever,
Gg.
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1944

Position: 6430 (16 views)