Letter, George Stoff to Florence Stoff, January 24, 1944

Item

Contributor
Stoff Family
Creator
Date
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/9410
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
Pvt. G. Stoff (42050100)
Co A 5th BN,
Camp Plauche
New Orleans, LA.

Mrs. George Stoff
3021 Avenue
Brooklyn, N.Y.

Monday, 1- 24 – 44

Florence, sweetheart:
Destiny brought us together in the beautiful Adirondacks, and since then there has been no question as to our loving each other ever so dearly. We know that love is something must be demonstrated and felt every moment, and we also know that this separation must not interfere with our cherishing and loving each other. Despite all obstacles, time, distance, and even war we will love and yearn for each other with the same burning desire we first realized at our first kiss. Yes, dearest, Kismet directed you to me, and me to you, and this I believe with my heart, that soon we will be as one, and this bad dream will become a thing of the permanent past, never to be experienced again by us. Be of good cheer, honey, stay young and healthy, and raise a good, strong, proud son, that will be our heritage to him, and those who will follow him. I love you, darling, and I miss you ever so much, but I have a job to do, and when it’s done and over with, happiness and peace will be ours.

I hope you had an enjoyable ride and visit to Mrs. Ruse and Betty yesterday. Did Jimmy behave like a good boy, and do you proud? Are all those folks well, and is Betty bearing up under unfortunate incident? Did you meet or visit anyone else? I suppose you have already written me about the trip and I’ll be patient until I receive your letters. That photographer should make some exquisite pictures when I consider his subject material, but I’ll be patient until they arrive.

Nothing new happened to-day relative to that interview, and I guess it’s a closed matter, since I did nothing to help my case. However, I learned to-day that a new class is opening in “clerk’s administration” next Monday, and so I made a request for permission to attend. Maybe I’ll get a reply to-morrow. Will leave you know as usual. The chow continues pretty good, some days more than others. We get meat at least once a day, and some days twice. There are always at least 2 vegetables besides potatoes, and coleslaw, celery, or lettuce salads are a daily dish. Milk is always served at breakfast, as is a citrus fruit, so I guess we are well taken care of from the gourmet’s standpoint.

Received no mail from you to-day, but a letter from Mrs. Pincus relates that he is not well. Ask him if he needs some whiskey, and if possible take no money from him if he does. There were 4 other letters in to-days mail, and I have plenty of writing to keep me busy, so we went to the movies to-night, and saw “Ali Baba and his 40 thieves”, yes, dear, a stinkeroo.

I feel fine, wish I could kiss you and Jim about six hundred times, but I’ll just save it until I can. Hope you and Jim and the folks are well, and in good spirits. I intend phoning my folks on Saturday, and will reverse charges so that they can collect the commission (15%) on the call. Will you please give them $3.00, or less, when you see them, after I make the call. If they don’t accept it from you I will mail the money, but I don’t want to stick them with the call. I guess you understand. I would also appreciate you sending me a few rubber bands, one in each letter. Thanks for everything, dearest. Jerry Rappaport sent me a box of candy to-day, with a note saying he was also forwarding one to you. Please phone him, or write him, care of the office.

Stay well, honey, kiss our darling son for me, and tell him daddy will make up for lost time. I love you, and with a kiss in mind, you find me,
As ever, Gg.
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1944

Position: 2520 (27 views)