Letter, Florence Stoff to George Stoff, June 6, 1944, Letter 2

Item

Contributor
Stoff Family
Creator
Date
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/9168
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
Mrs. F. Stoff
3021 Avenue I
Brooklyn 10, N.Y.

Cpl George Stoff (42050100)
Co A 735 RWY OPN BN
Fort Snelling, Minn.

Tuesday morning
June 6th 11:45

Dearest beloved,
The invasion has started this morning and let’s hope and pray the war will be over within hours. At present I’m waiting at the hospital for the outcome of little Joel’s operation. We’re quite tense, naturally, but I manage to keep my wits at all times. My mother and Thelma are here and we’re in the car waiting. Jimmie is asleep in his carriage near the car and will awaken in about ½ hour.

The day started with so many radios blasting the news from 7 a.m. and I tuned ours in at 8 a.m. We had our breakfasts, got a few calls from Thelma’s friends and baby and I were dressed at 9:45. Last night I called the garage to make sure that the battery was taken care of and this morning the car started at once and it’s running fine. The dents and scratches will be taken care of, too, in a few days. It’s now 12 o’clock and there’s no further news regarding Joel. Bess came in from the country at 1 o’clock and baby just awoke so I’ll take him home for lunch and his milk.

It’s now 3 o’clock and there’s been no news from the family about Joel. Meantime, Jules Lieher called and also your folks. All’s well with the Liehers but Joel L. is still having gland trouble. Mom and Pop are fine and are awaiting my call. Betty and Birdie came in a few minutes ago to know the news but there wasn’t any.

The weather is grand and I hope to get out with Jimmie for a few hours. He’s playing now with his toys and a few minutes ago half emptied the hamper of dirty clothes. We’re both fine and dandy, still miss you and do hope again we’ll be in each other’s arms soon. Your Sunday letter arrived this morning and I’m so happy you manage to do the town, see the ball-games and have some fun out of all this mess. If I sounded glum at the end of our conversation, I’m so sorry, darling. I didn’t mean to sound that way.

Just spoke to Eleanor about Joel and he’s finally down from the operating room. He’s resting now, slept awhile and I’ll let you know further details to-night.

Keep well, darling and all my love to you. A kiss from Jimmie.
As ever,
Florence
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1944

Position: 3803 (23 views)