Letter Abe Sperber Camp de Gurs April 17th 1941 (Transcribed English)

Item

Contributor
Diers, Nathaniel
Coverage
Date
Format
JPG
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/27522
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/CNE/1.0/
Type
text
Original Format
paper
Provenance
Keene State College
locator
Letters (5) Folder 1
Alternative Title
"Letter Abe Sperber Camp de Gurs April 17th 1941 R.jpg"
"Letter Abe Sperber Camp de Gurs April 17th 1941 V.jpg"
transcription
Abe Sperber Camp de Gurs April 17th, 1941
Hot J, Baraque 17,
Bares Pyrennies, France

My dear ones,
I have received your letter from
March 13th, 1941 and also the (Sum) you have sent me.
I thank you cordially for your goodness. Out of your
Letters I know very well the circumstances in which
You are living and I am very sorry that you have so much bad luck.
I am very glad to hear that you are in communication with (Seinieaure). I don’t know if this place is now occupied by the Russian or German troops. Kindly let me know that. I remember well the family katz. The (Uupers) are my good friends and I remember still well their departure. Please, ask Mr. Tannenbaum for the address of (Jospi Delidgisch) ;
We alway stayed on good terms and perhaps he could do anything for me.
As belonging to parcel, you want to send me, I only want to mention that it last several months until such a sending arrives. I
Would only ask you to send me old things, especially warm winters ears, pullovers, stockings etc, as it may be possible that we should be forced to spend another winter in a camp. Here I give you The address of people I know very well and who will perhaps give you anything for me: Hilda and Jena Parker, (70 Hica Gluck, 135 Terrace riese) Av. New - York City.
I have written to you last time the address of Sperber without the Christian name; now I know it: it is Abraham.
I am so far in good health now; let me hope that you both are also well. I do also hope that you meanwhile have got good news from Terri and Jackie. To he obliged to do military service or (war?) – I have then written to the address in London you mentioned in your letter but till now I have not got any answer. There are only few letters which arrive from England here.
I am very sorry that I can not be with you, as Mr. Tannenbaum, as you said in your letter, told you that I could earn enough once being in America in my line; so I could live with you and do my best to help you. But my destiny is apparently to remain here in a camp; nevertheless, I am not desperate and I don’t give up hope that I shall be able to join you one day. – life here is very grave and one has enough to suffer from. Who knows that the future will bring to us? – Is (Moritz) with his family there? What has happened with Herti? Is she still living in New-York? Is little Leo not yet in U. S. A.?
For your promise to support me, in spite of the bad conditions you are living in, I thank you once more out of my deepest heart. I hope the day will come, when I shall be able to prove you my gratitude. Kindest regards, many (Kisses) and love from (Albi Sperber)
I hope your situation has improved and that this letter finds you in good health

Position: 3027 (29 views)