Letter, Florence Stoff to George Stoff, Brooklyn, New York, January 8, 1945

Item

Creator
Date
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/11374
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
Mrs. Florence Stoff
3021 Avenue I
Brooklyn 10, N.Y.

Cpl. George Stoff (42050100)
CoA 735 RWY OPN BN
APO #228 c/o Postmaster
New York – N.Y.

Monday eve
Jan 8th 1945.
Dearest George,
Baby and I had a very enjoyable weekend and we’re looking forward to those in the future with our best Daddy and sweetheart. Time does go very quickly when we’re occupied and there’s never a dull moment here at home. Yesterday, as I wrote you in a V. mail “shorty”, was very snowy and slushy out so we spent the day indoors. Mom and Pop came at noon and had lots of pleasure watching their grandson go through his daily routine. Baby still eats very well and talks too much these days. My Mom came in early in the afternoon and Jim noticed that after Mom walked in there were foot-marks and water on the linoleum. He quickly ran into the kitchen got the mop and started to clean up the floor. We all sat back and enjoyed his earnestness and determination to keep the place clean. In fact, he’s going to be the most particular one in the family – and he’s only two now. Yes, dearest, he’s inherited many of our characteristics and I’ll bet he’ll have the sharpest tongue on this side of the ocean. But he’s still very sweet, unspoiled and just full of the devil. I can’t keep track of the many things he does during the day and his increasing vocabulary amazes all of us when he talks. He’s going through a very possessive stage at present and it’s Jimmie’s dog, Jimmie’s Mommy, Jimmie’s daddy and all our material goods is Jimmie’s. Next week he’ll be due for another phase and there’ll be many more before he’s 5.

Your folks left at 6 p.m. and I spoke to them today. They had a letter from you, V. mail and one from Bob who’s still in Springfield, Minn. I received two V. mails from you today dated Dec. 21st page 1 and page 2 and thanks, my darling for the perfume you mentioned. When I receive it, I’ll acknowledge it at once. I hope you’re getting more mail and parcels.

To-day we spent most of the day indoors because of the slush outside and I left Jim with Toby while I did the necessary marketing. He’s welcome at any of my neighbors and he always behaves while I’m gone. During the afternoon the sun appeared and we went out together for some air and sunshine. When we returned, Jim and I had some cookies and milk and played together in the foyer. Then Thelma and Eleanor came and Thelma was in tears. Joel was left in the hospital after his treatment today and the doctors advised Thelma that if he improves after a week or so, he may go home again. We’ll know more about his case as the days go by but in the meantime he’s getting the very best care. We all had supper together and Thelma is staying here tonight with me. She’ll visit Joel tomorrow and will be able to spend many hours with him during the day.

Tonight Billy Rubel called, is well and just received a V. mail from you. He’s a grand friend and only derives joy from making others happy. Sonny also phoned and has quite a trying job with both children. Her best wishes to you and we’ll see each other this week. She’s also a good friend of ours.

It’s getting late and I’m getting sleepy so good-night, dearest and pleasant dreams. I still love you with all my heart and hope this year will find us reunited again forever and a day. My chin is still up and it’s easy to be brave when I’m so much in love with the sweetest man on earth. Stay well, darling, and our day will be here very soon. Love and kisses from Jimmie, love from the folks and best wishes from my family.
Lovingly yours,
Florence
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1945

Position: 4713 (21 views)