Letter, Florence Stoff to George Stoff, Brooklyn, New York, January 11, 1945

Item

Creator
Date
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/11368
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
Mrs. Florence Stoff
3021 Avenue I
Brooklyn 10, N.Y.

Cpl. George Stoff 42050100
Co A 735 RWY OPN BN
APO # 228 c/o Postmaster
New York, N.Y.

Thursday – Jan. 11th 1945
George, dearest,
Another day without you and life seems so incomplete knowing you’re not around to enjoy all the comforts of home, the free and easy way of a civilian and our Jimmie. But as long as you’re well, in a safe area, and not living in a frozen fox-hole I’m more than thankful. I do hope you read more optimistic news about the war than we’re reading at home. It looks as though there’s still quite a tough fight ahead for all and perhaps the Spring will come soon with most favorable changes and the end of the war. Europe sure is in a terrible mess, politically, economically and bodily. It’s sure a state.

What does it matter though really, my love, when we love each other so much and so devotedly? I love you every waking moment and in all my dreams and reminiscence. How happy and lucky I am that your feelings are reciprocal. There must be hundreds of fond lovers separated as we are so patient we’ll be until this world will be a decent place to live in again. All this will not be vain.

Jim and I had a rather nice day and as usual full and interesting. First, we had a V. mail from our darling Daddy dated Dec. 19th and I’m so glad you’re well and that you’re sending some perfume for me. If you can get a small bottle of Chanel #5 and it is not expensive, I’d like to sample it. And don’t forget my hat from Paris. What would you like as an Easter gift, darling? Went outdoors with Jim, did some shopping and bundled up very well for the cold weather we have at present. In the late afternoon (4 p.m.) Betty, Lawrence, Jim and myself went to the College to see the main feature “Christmas Holiday” with Deanna Durbin. It was a drama and I got more of a thrill watching Jim for the first half hour than I did looking at the picture. Then he and Lawrence got restless and we managed somehow to see the finish of the show. It was quite an experience and Jim keeps talking so much about his days adventures. My sister Eleanor had supper with us tonight and Thelma is out visiting her friend Irene. Joel is still the same and we hope he’ll feel better in another day or so. He’s getting the very best care by the best doctors.

Spoke to Mina Abrams tonight and may visit her on Saturday if the weather is favorable. Expect to see the Goldhammers, too, if we make the trip to the Bronx. I’ll not forget a gift for Nora’s baby boy and they, too, are anxious to see Jim. The folks are well and have some kind of an affair at the Hotel Commodore this coming Sunday. Am sending Dan a birthday card tomorrow – and he’ll receive it on Saturday, his birthday. Hope you get mail often and that more parcels come through for you by now. I get your mail very regularly and not in order and I’m almost sure I acknowledge the dates on each one. Did you receive more cash and have you received my letter yet saying that I’ve received that $100.00 check from you.

Good night, my beloved, and please take good care of yourself always. Jim and I love you with both our hearts and our chins will stay up until that reunion in C2. Love from Eleanor. Bon soir.
Lovingly,
Florence
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1945

Position: 5219 (19 views)