Letter, George Stoff to Florence Stoff, May 8, 1944, Letter 2

Item

Contributor
Stoff Family
Creator
Date
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/11134
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
Cpl. Geo. Stoff 42050100
Co A 735 Rvy. Opn. Bn.
Ft. Snelling, Minn.

Mrs. Florence Stoff
3201 Avenue I
Brooklyn 10
New York

Monday 5-8-44

Florence, dearest:
My body arrived in Chicago this morning at 10:30 A.M. but, darling, my heart and mind was left with you and our precious Jimmy. It was wonderful of you and the folks to act as brave in bidding good-by, and I know if I had turned around to look at you all I would have broken down. Be assured it is going to take a long time to overcome that nostalgic feeling of the wonderful family and home I left behind, but believe you me, I am a mighty proud sweetheart and father, and if nothing else I have something to come back to, and gloat over. Don’t worry your pretty little head, my sweetheart, you will either see me here within a month, or I’ll be transferred closer to you.

Hope you had no difficulties driving home in the rain, and also no incidents. Have no concern over the other incident, but be sure to report it to the insurance company, and also put on paper for your own information the date, time, places, and any other facts you recall concerning the incident. If anything develops as a result of the bump you will be prepared to answer correctly, n’cest pas [should be n’est ce pas; French for “isn’t that right”]

Had a sugar-cured baked Virginian ham dinner on the train, but I sure missed that steak dinner with you and the folks. However there will be other occasions, and we’ll really enjoy every moment of them. We had a late breakfast in Chicago, and are now waiting for the 1 o’clock train to St. Paul. Will invite you again when I reach St. Paul, and will get back to my daily letters beginning Tuesday.

Stay well, take care of our Jim, and above all, don’t worry – and [darnit speak?] to your dear mother.

With all my resuscitated love, you find thinking of you –
As ever,
Gg -
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1944

Position: 5593 (18 views)