Letter, George Stoff to Florence Stoff, June 3, 1944, Letter 2

Item

Contributor
Stoff Family
Creator
Date
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/11124
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
Cpl. G. Stoff, 42050100
Co. A. 735th Ry. Opn. Bn.
Fort Snelling, Minn.

Mrs. G. Stoff
3021 Avenue I
Brooklyn, 10 N.Y.

Saturday 6-3-44

Florence, dearest:
Being a mail-clerk in the army has only a few advantages, but because of them I’m determined to hold onto this until that transfer is effected. Firstly, I get my mail from you, my sweetheart, an hour earlier daily, and secondly I spend most of the day in my private little office thinking and dreaming of you, and Jimmy too. I have my favorite pin-up girl and our little boy hanging in front of me, and I just sit and look at you both, at once, admiring and adoring, longing and cherishing, wishing and hoping for all this to come to an end, so that we can have that “reunion in Brooklyn” soon. It is good to see you looking so well, and to be assured daily that all is under control at home. I know the strain we are all undergoing these days, and I hope the near future will cure that for all time. It is trying for me to continue insisting that you stay at home until we have definite word on the transfer, but perhaps its best that way. Should you however decide otherwise, I’ll not object.

Your Wednesday letter arrived to-day, as did one from Bob, also a letter I had mailed Sam on 5/11 was returned unclaimed. You sound very mysterious about Sam. Bob also refrained from relating any details, although he seems to be in the know. I wish you’d tell me the score, and stop all this kidding around. I’m a hit boy now, they tell me.

With the summer’s heat beginning to make itself apparent, I hope you will find it expedient to take a vacation with Jim. That still sounds like a better deal than a train ride to St. Paul. No further news on the transfer, but please remind Dan to keep on the lookout for it. I will advise him and you as soon as I learn anything further.

It surprised me to learn that “our friends” the Whitmans had written. They haven’t answered my last two letters, and I wondered what had happened to them. Please send their address along and perhaps I’ll try again. I sure hate to think of letting such friends down without mail, and yet I don’t quite seem to be able to comprehend how Al and Liesel continue to neglect contacting you during all this. But then, there are many human events I have never been able to fathom.

The weather has been quite warm here, and to-day is no exception. I guess the ball park will find me out there to-night, and weather permitting I’ll spend Sunday in one of the parks surrounding the city. Believe me, sweetheart, these days sure are lonely, and I’ll spend the balance of our lives making them up to you. I know I’m going to enjoy doing just that, and wish I could start soon. Be patient, my adorable one, all things come to an end, and even this messed-up world catastrophe will soon be over.

Hope you, Jim, my folks and your sisters are in good health and spirits. Kiss Jim for me, and have him love mommy for daddy, who longs so much to love and kiss you both.

As ever,
Gg
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1944

Position: 4867 (20 views)