Letter, George Stoff to Florence Stoff, Hamm, Germany, June 6, 1945

Item

Contributor
Stoff Family
Coverage
Date
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/11087
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
152
Hamm
6 June 1945

Florence darling:
Because of events beyond my control my letter to you yesterday consisted only of a v-mail. I visited the balance of the company last night, and didn’t return to my room until about 10 P.M. The inadequacy of using the v-mail form to express my love and admiration for you is very apparent, but no matter what is used as the means to the end, the three little words “I love you” is the dominating motif of all my expressions to you. I will make every effort to use airmail And will only resort to the shorter stationary when time or inclination does not permit.

Your v-mails dated May 23rd, 25th, and 28th arrived yesterday. And to-day’s mail consisted only of a letter from Bob Seff. June issue of Readers Digest and April 29th edition of the Times. I gather from your letters that you are a busy young lady preparing for the summer vacation. Hope all went well and that your set-up for the summer indicates you will have a splendid time. Don’t let any sparks get near the dynamite!

By this time you are aware that I have returned your aunt’s camera, and I sure hope it arrives in good condition. At present I have two box cameras sizes 120 and 620. The letter is nicely outfitted with a leather case. But I have not yet taken any pictures with it. Have 5 rolls of film for the 620. And 6 or 7 rolls for the 170. Do not send any films unless I make request for some. The larger of the enclosed snaps gives you an idea of the type pictures the 120 takes. Incidentally in my last package I returned 9 rolls of 116 films so you should have enough for the summer. If I get the chance to pick up a choice camera I’ll certainly do so, but being tied down in the office reduces my chances to get one. I think the shot of me in the chaplain’s jeep is more rare than the ones of me on the outdoor latrine – eh what? Did the snaps taken by Joe in Paris turn out well? I never saw any of them. Did you have the roll I enclosed in a package developed? And were they of any interest?

It certainly was a coincidence your seeing “A Song to Remember” and my seeing it here the day before your letter advising this fact arrive. I can very easily imagine you and I having a wonderful two hours at a showing of so fine as picture together – but believe you one it was shown under most adverse conditions – particularly the sound effect: and every time a woman appeared on the scene of good shape and budding “bubbies” some suppressed lad would offer a chocolate bar or two for a “session”. These exclamations always proved a welcome relief from the raucous sound of the projection machine, and provides the only laughs for the evening. In short pleasure is in direct proportion to the environment and presentation.

Hilda wrote Frank Bell that she had spoken to you, and that she too is undecided about what course to pursue for the summer. They have some kind of a place near Lakewood, N.J. but I don’t think she wants to be there alone. I guess these summer vacations are a problem for the wives back home, but I have every hope this will be the last you and I will be separated.

I’m pleased you are changing your address at the post office for the summer. As soon as you advise I will forward my letters to your summer address. I do hope you have taken every precaution to watchout for those souvenir packages I sent you. Some of them contain interesting items, and I would not like to lose them. A letter from Frank advised that he had received my first letter and 3 packages. As soon as I reply to them I will forward the letter to you for your perusal.

Bob’s v-mail wrote the he expected to be at Holyoke all of this month, and no telling how much longer thereafter. He once again remarked how pleased and proud you and mom were to have received my Mother’s Day flowers. And I’m sure a privileged person to have two such grand moms to send them to. I do hope you and the folks are not worrying about me, because it’s only a matter of months from here in. I expect your letters will keep to get me out because of over age. And then- heavenly days and nights. Bob will do okay. and before too long the Japs will get wire to their unfortunate lot.

Jimmy must be getting to be quite a boy as he rapidly approaches his third birthday. I know you are giving him the best care and attention, and making every effort to teach him all the things a child should know. No child could have a better deal and I have every confidence that he’ll be a fine boy, one whom I wont even be able to apart when I return. Hope his rash gives you little trouble this summer, and that both of you put on a couple of pounds during the next three months. I know you grew more romantic in the country but I hope you remember you are now a married woman and my own sweetheart!! Don’t you agree I look young in the jeep shot?

All goes well with me, sweetheart, plenty of meat and butter, but no love. Feel fine and dandy. plenty of detail work to keep me busy, and some day I’ll tell you a how a fellow can know so much army administration and still be a Corporal; but bless you lovey. I know you care little for my army rank, and neither do I. – but what does Jim say about it?

Kiss the lad for me, and I’ll kiss you in mind with all my love and adoration. My best to everyone, and keep writing those grand letters to me, and those vital ones to the powers that be.
As ever,
George
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1945
Media
29.pdf

Position: 5952 (17 views)