Letter, Florence Stoff to George Stoff, Brooklyn, New York, June 4, 1945

Item

Contributor
Stoff Family
Date
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/10957
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
Monday-
June 4th 1945

George, dearest,
Another cold, rainy day kept us indoors and Jim and I always manage to use the time advantageously. We’re both very well, darling, and just waiting for some warm weather so we can start on our trip to Monticello. I’ll drive carefully and don’t expect to use the car too much or foolishly while away. If I do make some trips to the city, I will take the bus or maybe be fortunate to get a ride both ways. In another week I’ll get that $5.00 tax stamp again for the car.

This morning the postman brought up the mail and also collected 6 cents which was due on one of your letters. Your May 19th (#134) and May 26th (#141) long, sweet letters arrived with some grand snapshots of you in the [?] countries, Did I mention that you should send home any dairy, pictures or any kind of records that you have? It’s a practice of the army to take anything that this is important before a man debarks for any place outside army territory. Also received the $12.50 allotment check and Pop has the $37.00 check for us.

The picture I saw last night “A Tree Grows in Brooklyn” was a good portrayal of a family who lived in Williamsbergh at the beginning of the century. Did you see it yet? When I arrived home, it was drizzling and my mom and Eleanor had no trouble at all with Jim. He went to sleep early, had his milk and the rascal had to be awakened this morning at 9.05a.m. Jimmie gained some weight and looks great these last few weeks. He’ll look more handsome by the end of the summer, if that’s possible.

The folks are well and I spoke to Pop early in the evening. Bob called the on Saturday and all is well with him and Francis. After I finish this letter, I’ll write to Bob. To-morrow is Jan’s birthday and I’ll not forget Pop’s birthday and Fathers day this month. Don’t you forget to send them a card or letter for their anniversary on the 29th. I spoke to Hilda again to-night and she sure is lonesome for Frank. I told her how well Frank looks on that snapshot you sent and she was quite pleased. There’s little real gossip to relate, Joe Glukman is still around and looks fine altho' his knee Is a bit stiff, the Rosens are fine the Nelsons bought a place in Patchogue, L.I. for $1500 (a three room shack). Charlie is O.K. and comes in occasionally to talk, Cy is not on the service because of that over 30 deferment and all send their best regards to you.

Enclosed is a stock sheet and a picture of interest.

Just stay well, dearest and I still love you every moment. Jim and I miss you terribly but what can we do but wait patiently. All our love and devotion to the best sweetheart and Daddy ever.

As always- Florence
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1945
Media
32.pdf

Position: 4371 (21 views)