Letter, Florence Stoff to George Stoff, Brooklyn, New York, June 7, 1945

Item

Contributor
Stoff Family
Date
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/10614
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
Mrs. Florence Stoff
3021 Avenue I
Brooklyn 10, N.Y.

Cpl. George Stoff 43050100
CoA - 735 RWY OPN BN
APO # 350 c/o Postmaster
New York - N.Y.

Thursday
June 7, 1945

Dearest sweetheart,
We’re still in Brooklyn, the weather is grand and all at home are in good health and spirits. Hope you’re well and not lonesome.

Jim and I had another full day and we’ll relax once we get set in the country. Most of my recent mornings start with the postman ringing our bell and asking for “postage due 6 cents” on most of those letters you’re mailing with the snapshots. I don’t mind one bit, my love, but I think the post office intends to build a new department with our money. Today’s mail delivered your May 28th letter and snaps, a check for $68.75 from the insurance company settling claim and some request for a contribution to the Herald Tribune Fresh air fund. You letter was swell reading but please don’t roam around nights sightseeing. We hear all kinds of stories here and those Germans aren’t the nicest people to be near. You’ll think I’m silly but I don’t care.

At 10:30 a.m. we went midtown with camera and Jim’s lovely rocking horse. I took some shots of Jim near the horse, Laurence and Betty near Jim and later met Thelma near the subway on my way to the stores to shop. Also took some pictures of Jim and Thelma near the Federal Savings Bank. We kept Thelma company while she had a snack to eat at Perry’s Food Shop and from there went on home to have our lunch and naps. During the afternoon Dan stopped in to see us, had a long letter from you this week and he had to hurry back to the base. The roll of films wasn’t finished so during the afternoon I drove over to my mom’s house and shot the rest of the film on Hawthorne Street. I returned the camera to Max Eidler, thanked him, and will send the film to Ansco for developing.

During the afternoon mom treated us to malted and sodas at Ellmans and from there I drove to Sears for some Duro 7 polish. Remember polishing the car with it on Sundays? Jim behaved very nicely all through the day and had loads of fun tonight splashing in his bath—and I have to duck fast.

The folks are fine, had your letter of May 29th with that very funny snap of you (sitting) and hoping for your quick return. We’ll probably stay around Sunday or Monday and will see the folks over the week-end. I’ll take more snaps of them before we leave the city.

Tonight I returned Winnie’s baby scale which I used to weigh all those parcels I mailed you.

I also showed off that lovely carved mirror Frank made for me. Winnie fell in love with it and even Willy remarked how well it was made. Their best regards to you. Joe is coming along fine and still has to visit the hospital regularly.

This afternoon I had occasion to see a collection of Hitler youth knives, officers sabers and other knives. Cathy Smith’s brother sent home these knives from the Deutschland and they are sure something to look at. Silver cases, ivory handled, beautiful engravings and all for the purpose of glorifying the art of slaughter. All this made me shudder. I guess Jim will love the latest hobby of his G.I. Daddy when we get our knives.

Just spoke to Bess again and the house is getting those final touches. Bess isn’t too comfortable during this pregnancy but all things are temporary.

I still love my only sweetheart and the grandest guy on earth. When I cast my eyes on you (soon) I’ll not take them off for hours or days at a time. It’ll be a wonderful day when we start our post-war lives. Stay well, dearest, and we’ll keep up our courage until that glorious reunion. All our love and devotion to you, love from mom and pop, and best wishes from all the family. Hugs and kisses from Jim.

Lovingly yours,
Florence
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1945
Media
24.pdf

Position: 6889 (13 views)