Letter, George Stoff to Florence Stoff, Hamm, Germany, June 8, 1945

Item

Contributor
Stoff family
Coverage
Date
Format
PDF
Identifier
https://commons.keene.edu/s/KSCArchive/item/10593
Language
eng
Rights
http://rightsstatements.org/vocab/InC/1.0/
Type
Text
Text
Cpl. Geo. Stoff 41050100
CoA 735 RWY OPN BN
APo 350 0/0 Postmaster
New York

MRS. FLORENCE STOFF
0/0 Baxt
41 Longfield Ave
Monticello, NY

-154-
Hamm
8 June 1945

Florence, darling,
This business of telling each other the solution for our present separation is patience sure has its comical aspects. Your letters go all out and to assure me that patience and time will soon reunite us, and I reciprocate with the hopes that time and patience will do the same. I guess there's no doubt in our minds that patience and time, and time and patience will see us one again, and by golly, dearest, I'm convinced if you are. As a matter of fact that's the solution to our only source of anxiety at present. I'm in a happy mood to-night, and if I just ramble along, giving rent to whatever pops in my mind just smile along with me.

There's no explaining why I feel so jolly in one word or sentence, but your May 29th, 30th, and June 1st air mail letters plus those 2 snapshots set me off like a fire-cracker. I can see between the lines of your letters that you are relaxing a bit as your holiday approaches, and that the realization of the chances of this being "our year" are more than mere hope. Even though the War Dept threw some cold water on the 35 to 40 chances of getting out, you can see as well as I that sooner or later this age limit will be lowered. Your letters with the Thousands of others will hasten it, so keep up the good work. I know not whom you are directing your prayers to these days, but since I have not yet begun to believe in the efficacy of prayers you will forgive my not uttering any prayers.

Those 2 shots enclosed in the June 1st letter were real honeys, and did something to me. Jim standing there with that ever important letter to his daddy symbolized one of the things we are fighting for - freedom of expression. The other snap of you and he standing on the Brooklyn side walk with no bombed out houses as a background made me happy in the realization that neither of you was subjected to the horrors created in Europe by the ‘four horsemen of the apocalypse.’ Yes, sweetheart, I am sitting here gazing intently at those two pictures as I write this. How I love both of you - and this little sacrifice of time and effort to make our futures safe is worth the effort. Patience is a cheap commodity compared to the sacrifices millions of others have made in this struggle.

I waited patiently all day and evening for those letters of yours, and finally at 10 P.M. one of the boys drove down from our billets to the battalion headquarters to deliver them to me. I am C Q to-night so I could do nothing about it. However now that I've read and re-read them several times I'm bubbling over with love and enthusiasm for the sweetest girl in the world. Seems to me Jim looks pregnant in that coat, or is that chicken $1.25 per pound. A pretty nice deal the soldier's family back home is getting these days. I know I get meat twice daily, but with less politics you folks at home should also be getting sufficient food and meat. To-day I had a steak for lunch and 2 pork chops for supper - but how I miss one of your special summer salads - or fried fish. But despite my hankering for some home cooked food I'm gaining weight. How am I going to tell all my good "friends" what a rugged(?) deal I had in the ETO and still came back heavier than when I left. As for feeling good, why I never felt better physically in my life. Sure hope those 2 mattresses you ordered can stand plenty of wear and tear. There I go worrying about mattresses, and not thinking about whether you will be able to take it. People in love can take anything can't we, my sweetheart.

Although you make small mention of your letters to me, they mean everything to me. In my last package I mentioned about 50 of them, and I do want you to save them until I return at least. If mine are to become subjects for official readings, then I insist both sides of our uni-character be read - Thanks so much for the package en route, and I'll advise on receipt. Please keep me posted when you get those on the way to you. Speaking about packages reminded me of Frank's letter dated May 27th, which I answered to-night. Under separate cover I sent you the letter just as I received it. I want you to get a glimpse into the character of these kindly folks.

Your visit to the office must have been filled with all kinds of conversation and excitement, what with Jim and our old friends getting together. Mr. Pincus doesn't write so often these days but I guess he's busy and still worried about his boy. I'm glad to learn the vault is filling up because one of these days we are going to use that stuff for us. I'll continue to forward all the money I can and you place it in the bank. It begins to look like a soldier's bonus in addition to our $300- mustering-out pay - and that will keep to make our life in the future less filled with worry about money.

Bob's advice that there was a possibility of his getting some more training, and I sure hope he does. He has had such a charmed military career that I expect him to get every break. Of course this is highly problematical but past experience sure favored him. He seems to be under the impression that I am letting all this get me down, but he doesn't know that loving you has kept my spirits high and sense of humor keen. What else does a guy need but that under these circumstances? In any event his being stationed in the States is wonderful for him and the folks, and if I have just a little luck perhaps I'll be home before he departs. I sure would like to see him too when I get back, and I have every hope that I'll be back before this year ends.

Glad to learn everyone in your family is well, and that all is serene in that sector. Thelma must be happier these days with a good job, and Maurice. It was nice of Eleanor to help you order those mattresses, and I'm sure she's been a big help and solace to you during these trying months. As for Jim playing with 12 decks of cards when you leave him with your mother - well that's not too difficult to understand. All I want to know is "were the cards marked"? I told you in the first paragraph I was in a cheeky mood to-night. By the way did you ever sell the living room mirror and radio cabinet? Anything you do pleases me.

The car must look pretty good after the paint job, and let me know if you get the check as promised. How are the tires, and did you have the radio repaired? Just be very cautious driving about with Jim, and don't let the Baxts think they are giving you any charity. How much are you paying for your share of the rent of Bess's place for the summer?

The enclosed snapshots of me in the jeep are the very latest taken, and were snapped May 27th when I traveled the route with the courier. On the other you see me sitting on the entrance steps to my "home". Did you even receive the post-card enlargement of the famous outdoor latrine scene? I have several more photographs like the one I sent you in the event you need them, or want them sent to someone. But then who'd want my bald-headed likeness outside of you and Jim.

These daily chats with you are the elixir of life to me sweetheart, and I just dote on the hour to two I devote to conversing with you. In mind now I'll kiss you just as I did the first time, with every reassurance that your response is still the same - Heavenly days and nights - to come. Be of good cheer, stay well, kiss Jim for me, and my folks when you see them. My very best to everyone, and until to-morrow I bid you a fond adieu. With all my love and adoration,
As ever,
Gg
Provenance
Keene State College
Item sets
Stoff 1945
Media
22.pdf

Position: 4419 (21 views)