KSCommons

Developing Agency in Metaliterate Learners: Empowerment Through Digital Identity and Participation

Show simple item record

dc.creator Irene K. McGarrity
dc.date 01/01/2016
dc.date.accessioned 2017-11-17T16:56:56Z
dc.date.available 2017-11-17T16:56:56Z
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/20.500.12088/5288
dc.description As someone who has been teaching for almost fifteen years, my strongest feelings of accomplishment come from seeing students become empowered to take ownership of their own learning. As academic librarians become more empowered, we are moving away from the one-shot model, and embracing a "train-the-trainer" model and teaching full-semester classes to facilitate metaliteracy in students. At Keene State College, where the library faculty teach in the Information Studies minor, my colleague, Jennifer Ditkoff, and I designed a course called Digital Identity & Participatory Culture, and ran it in the fall 2014 semester. Our goal was to turn over some of the course to the students, so that they would be making decisions about content, teaching their peers, and designing assignments. In this chapter, I provide background on scholarship in student-centered and collaborative learning, participatory culture, and metaliteracy in higher education, all of which guided us in developing the course. I discuss the challenges and implications of Digital Identity & Participatory Culture, and suggest ways that academic librarians and disciplinary faculty might experiment with student-led content and student-created assignments in their attempt to empower and instill a sense of agency in metaliterate learners.
dc.format PDF
dc.subject Library and Information Science
dc.subject Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
dc.title Developing Agency in Metaliterate Learners: Empowerment Through Digital Identity and Participation
dc.type article

Files in this item

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search

Browse

My Account