Presentation Title

A Sampling of Spain: Dance, Cuisine, and Culture

Presentation Type

Workshop

School

School of Arts and Humanities

Discipline

Modern Languages

Mentor

Robert Kostick

Date & Time

April 9th at 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM

Location

L. P. Young Student Center, Mabel Brown Room

Abstract

Words such as castañuelas, baile, claves, and toque de palmas are lost on the ears of most people, but not to performers of the Spanish dances Flamenco and the popularized Salsa. During my semester abroad in Alicante, Spain, I took a course on these two cultural dances in order to immerse myself further into Spanish life. This workshop aims to expose attendees to popular Spanish culture through experiential learning of the Flamenco and Salsa dances. After a hands-on workshop, I will be augmenting the topic of cultural dance through a presentation regarding their significance and a brief history along with related personal anecdotes. I will also be cooking a sampling of traditional Spanish cuisine that originated from the same areas as certain dances, as well as discussing their cultural significance. These will be offered for tasting during the presentation, during which I will allow opportunities for further questions.

1

Share

COinS

Apr 9th, 11:30 AM