Presentation Title

Participatory Action Research in Rwanda

Presenter Information

Margaret R. MasonFollow

Presentation Type

Oral Presentation

School

School of Sciences and Social Sciences

Discipline

Sociology

Mentor

Therese Seibert

Abstract

This presentation summarizes participatory action research conducted during July of 2016 in partnership with the Rwandan non-government organization Health Development Initiative (HDI). The purpose of the study was to assess the need for a stigma-free healthcare facility that reaches out to Rwanda’s Twa population. Working closely with the Twa, an impoverished ethnic minority, for over 10 years has shown HDI that this community continues to face discrimination from healthcare providers, despite the fact that Rwanda’s 2003 Constitution prohibits all forms of discrimination. Based on 15 personal interviews and two focus group interviews with Twa residents, this study documents a number of obstacles the Twa face when trying to access healthcare. This presentation will describe my research methodology, the responses I received, and some of the challenges I faced.

Grant Funded

1

Type of Grant

Student Grant

Grant Name

Student Undergrad Research Fund

Share

COinS

Participatory Action Research in Rwanda