Presentation Title

Controlling the Storm: The Magic of Language in Shakespeare’s The Tempest

Presenter Information

Collins Uttermann

Mentor

Brinda Charry

Location

David F. Putnam Science Center - 126

Abstract

Language and magic are intricately connected in Shakespeare’s The Tempest. Critics have often observed a connection between Prospero, the play’s protagonist, and Shakespeare himself. By reading and presenting sections of my paper, I will demonstrate that the mystic forces that drive the play forward become metaphoric reflections of Shakespeare’s own writing prowess. Similar to Prospero’s careful construction of his revenge plot, Shakespeare pulls no punches in his writing. He abandons his typically loose interpretations of unity for a tight, meticulously constructed plot, expertly weaving the play’s place and action into a single day on a single island. Prospero grapples with the morality of his craft and actions, and his expounding on the depth of his struggle underscores the immensity of the writing process itself. However, Shakespeare overcomes these artistic challenges with grace. At my presentation’s end, I will field and answer any questions to the best of my ability.

Share

COinS

Apr 11th, 10:20 AM Apr 11th, 11:20 AM

David F. Putnam Science Center - 126