Presentation Title

Selling Freedom And Resistance: An Ideological Rhetorical Criticism Of Apple`S "Think Different" Commercial

Presenter Information

Sarah Bruno

Mentor

Jamie Landau

Location

L. P. Young Student Center – Lantern And East Dining Rooms

Abstract

This research study conducts an ideological rhetorical criticism of Apple’s famous “Think Different” commercial that aired on television in 1997. I argue that the commercial persuades viewers to believe in ideologies of freedom and resistance. My analysis shows how ideological rhetoric empowers underrepresented populations such as African-American civil rights activists. However, Apple is hypocritical when “selling” rebellion and freedom, especially to minority groups in the U.S., given that Apple products are made in factories that employ poor people in third world countries who do not have basic human rights. Some implications of this research include how advertising and consumer products empower some populations while disempowering others.

Share

COinS

Apr 11th, 4:15 PM Apr 11th, 5:15 PM